Mechanical Design Engineer
Hours of work
37.5 hours each week
Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm
Ipswich Office – National Coverage
The purpose of the role is to…
Overall responsibility for mechanical design and consultancy function. accountable for all legislative compliance, reporting directly to the Design Director.
Communicate effectively with other functions across the entire business thus ensuring that the customer’s expectations are met.
What you’ll be doing…
- As a Mechanical Design Engineer, you will be supporting Space Engineering Services by assisting the design team in producing high quality complete design packages for a variety of clients.
- Act as Space Engineering Services recognised expert on all Design and Technical matters, ensuring the business is compliant with applicable legislation and industry best practice as a minimum and advise on areas requiring improvement.
- Provide leadership of the function for all stakeholders including customers and staff.
- Maintain a strong awareness of best practice, regulatory requirements.
- Plant selection and sizing in line with specifications/schedules
- Pipework and ductwork sizing in line with latest regulations
- Production of working and “as installed” drawings
- Manage and update drawings to latest floor plans and elevations
- Use thermal analysis software to calculate heat losses and heat gains
- Attend meetings as part of a team and individually to ascertain clients’ requirements
- Attend project / site meetings.
- Carry out site surveys.
- Assist with CAD during periods of heavy workload.
- Working with the functional teams and the customer to make sure we meet expectations and targets for: -
- Health & Safety/CDM
- Legislative Compliance
- Design/Technical innovation
- Health & Safety
- Proactively champion safe working at all times.
- Control of standards and the issuing of documentation to functional departments
- Regular sessions with the customer to understand their needs and expectations.
- Carry out sessions with the internal team in line with a matrix structure and ways of working to ensure consistent approach and messages.
- Working with other functions or department leads to ensure we are fully engaged in discussions with the customer at the appropriate time, thus ensuring we are aligned and provide our customers with the correct detail and offering.
- Work with the Function leads, Contract Managers and their teams to ensure we delivery on time and in line with relevant standards and specifications.
- Ensure compliance with the technical and legislative standards or regulations.
- Identify opportunities for efficiencies and improved working practices.
What success looks like…
- A good understanding of the company’s products & services.
- Working with the wider team / departments to understand the needs and detail of each department.
- Managing the relationship with key stakeholders within the business as well as with subcontractors and customers.
- Taking an active role in customer forums.
- Working with others at a similar level within the business to ensure the business objectives are met and wherever possible surpassed.
- Understanding of the company objectives and vision.
We’d love to meet someone with…
- Senior level Design experience
- Excellent attitude and approach to work.
- Highly self-reliant, motivated and enthusiastic.
- Approachable, open and able to work as part of a team.
- Excellent customer care and interpersonal skills.
- Commitment to quality and attention to detail.
- HNC in Building Services related qualification
- The view to becoming a chartered member of CIBSE
- IT proficient – all relevant Microsoft and other IT packages, AutoCAD, Hevacomp
- Willingness and ability to work flexible hours and travel across the UK and stay away from home for short periods to fulfil the requirements of this role.
- Excellent administrative and organisational skills, along with a keen attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal with the ability to influence people and form alliances quickly.
- The ability to work and manage their time individually as well as be an effective team player.
- A professional and pro-active approach to their work, always demonstrating initiative.
- The ability to adapt to conflicting demands along with being deadline focused.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritise work.
- A values driven approach – it’s not just what we do, but how we do it that’s important at Space. We’re Here for Each Other, Here for our Customers and Here for What Matters.
This job description provides an outline of the expected activities, duties and responsibilities and is not regarded as exclusive as day-to-day work priorities will undoubtedly provide variations.
What's in it for you?
We offer a competitive salary, and all of our employees 22 days holiday, rising incrementally to 25, plus bank holidays. Our extensive benefits package includes; Private Medical Insurance, Income Protection Insurance, Life cover of 2x salary, Employee Assistance Programme, Discount scheme including Gyms, Introducers Bonus Scheme and an excellent pension scheme.
Who are we?
Space Engineering Services are one of the most dynamic refrigeration, heating, ventilation and air conditioning service providers in Europe. We are proud to offer innovative products and services, and market-leading refrigeration technology, for which we have received awards and industry accreditations.
We are all equal!
We’re committed to creating an inclusive workforce and are opposed to any form of less favourable treatment, whether through direct or indirect discrimination, association or perception accorded to employees or job applicants, on the grounds of their; race, religion or belief, disability, ethnic origin, nationality, marital/civil partnership, pregnancy/maternity, gender, sexual orientation or age.
< Back to Jobs